Monday, November 10, 2008

Autumn season and nostalgic sensations :)

What is it about autumn that makes me all giddy inside? What makes it so special and warm (even though it's getting colder outside) and sensational and purely satisfying?

I was walking home from work one day very recently, shuffling through the massive collection of bright yellow leaves that had fallen, covering the sidewalks, and I couldn't help but smile. I physically felt giddy (you know those little heart palpitations you get when you are anticipating something incredible or when you have done something really fun or creative or satisfying or kind?) and it must have been apparent all over my face. I'm kind of embarrassed to think that someone may have seen me and thought: 'What in the world is wrong with that girl?' But these are some of the things that were going through my head, provoked by the simple sound of shuffled leaves:

The smell and the crackle of nearby bonfires,
plump orange pumpkins on supermarket shelves,
sweaters that smell of the drawer you had them in for half the year,
cool breezes that are starting to get through the little holes in those sweaters,
marshmallows, s'mores and smoky coats,
jumping in a huge pile of leaves and nearly breaking your tail bone,
hayrides and silly games,
buttery acorn squash fresh from the oven and pumpkin dip with ginger snaps,
hot spiced cider on the stove, complete with cinnamon sticks,
Thanksgiving dinners around huge tables full of family,
the Christmas tree going up and holiday decorations and music appearing here and there...

Do these things comfort you and give you an incredibly nice feeling as they do me? I don't know... maybe I am nuts, but I love autumn! I favour it above every season and I wish it back every time it goes. I tend to miss family more than ever at this time... What a joyful time of the year! Thank God for the seasons and their individual beauties! :)

No comments: