Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What I miss...

Ya know, I've been thinking (randomly at different times) about things I miss from home in the states... and the list has gotten huge! Haha. There are so many things that I love about being home... so I thought I'd just jot them down here (and, mind you, this won't be a complete list, as I can't call to mind everything I miss) and I hope it doesn't bore you to death. :S

Restaurants I really miss:
PF Changs
Cancun (more than anything! hehe)
Petros (although they've gotten rid of it - man!)
Olive Garden
Accropolis (for its bread and soup and salad especially)
Cracker Barrel
Famous Dave's
and I even miss... Taco Bell! Haha!

There are seriously no restaurants or food like these here in England and I just miss that taste and those experiences :)

On to the stores...
Old Navy (definitely nothing like that here!)
GAP (not the prices, mind you - hehe)
Barnes & Noble (good times, good times - and I hear it's moving into the mall... *sniff*)
Hobby Lobby
Wal-Mart (don't laugh - haha)
Target
Fresh Market (man, I miss that - hehe)
Green Life (only been there once, but man, I loved it, and I'm not even that 'green')

But mostly... I miss my family - truly and wholly. Yes, they've each heard this millions of times over the past 3-4 years, but it hasn't been more true than lately. Yes, I can live my life happily without them living next door - I'm settled in such a happy life with such an incredible husband, making new and wonderful memories and loving every minute of it - but I'd love the chance to see my family more often and to spend time with them. I kind of feel as though I had just gotten to really know my family, deep down, as unique individuals, just when I was to leave... Anyway, the bottom line is... family is an essential part of my life. It is not that I cannot live without them, it is that I don't want to. Instead of simply people I knew from birth and that I had been dependent on, they are each uniquely special to me and I love to be around them. They know me, I know them, and when we meet, it's like we hadn't ever left - that's what family is to me. :) I miss family gatherings in the living room, sometimes each of us on our respective computers and periodically talking, long chats on the couch, walks in the morning, meals together in the living room, British accents and quoting movies, being un-lady-like and pretending to be shocked, pampering a sick one, visiting each other at work, decorating the Christmas tree together with Prancer in the background, pretty much everything. This is not meant to be sappy, it's just a log of things that I miss at home. Definitely, I've built my new home and family here in England with my husband now (and there's no measure for my happiness), but this was my other home and will always have a nice little snug place in my heart. :)

No comments: